"And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death."
—Revelation 12:11 (ESV)
Tired of hearing that homosexuality is "inborn" or "unchangeable"? Here are stories of men and women who identified as gay or struggled with homosexuality but who believed, or came to believe, that homosexuality was not part of God's design for human sexuality and relationships. So they began to move away from homosexuality and to steward their relationships and sexuality in a biblical manner.
Please note: Inclusion in this list does not imply endorsement or recommendation by Focus on the Family of an individual, a ministry or resources. This list is for informational purposes only. Many of these links deal with difficult and mature sexual and relational subjects and may not be appropriate for children. Parental discretion is advised. Not all those in this list are Christian ministries or individuals.
- Pure Passion Media produces resources that proclaim the stories of men and women who’ve left homosexuality and come out of gender confusion. David Kyle Foster, the ministry founder, also tells the story of his own journey from drugs and sex addiction to salvation and ministry in his autobiography, Love Hunger.
- Deborah Barr lived for 18 years as a lesbian, before encountering the Lord and having her life transformed. She describes her journey away from lesbianism in the book All Things New: A Former Lesbian's Lifelong Search for Love, and disciples others leaving homosexuality.
- Living Out is a terrific web site with articles, resources and stories of people who are walking away from homosexuality, including Ed, Sam, Sean and Gaby, Vaughan, Mark and Peter.
- My same-sex attracted journey is a blog from a man who runs a website and groups for those with unwanted homosexuality, Joel 2:25, providing support and encouragement for those wanting an alternative to homosexuality.
- You can find 30 testimonies of God's work in people's lives at Living Hope Ministries. The ministry provides small groups, resources, a blog and a large online web forum.
- Courage is a Roman Catholic ministry for men and women choosing to live chaste lives in spite of same-sex attractions. Their website features over 200 chapters around the world, as well as dozens of stories from men and women who have benefited from their participation.
- In the article "Living with Same-sex Attraction," five men and women describe their decision to honor God's design for sexuality.
- In her book, Christy McFerren and her parents offer hope to families as she tells the story of her Baptist upbringing, a growing awareness of lesbian attractions, involvement with women, and the changes she experienced.<
- Dr. Oz ran an episode of his television program where he interviewed Christopher Doyle about coming out of homosexuality. He has gone on to help others with unwanted same-sex attractions.
- Robin Goodspeed has told her story of leaving lesbianism, testifying in several states in opposition of efforts to ban therapy for unwanted homosexuality.
- Hospitalized in the early 80s with AIDS-like symptoms, Mario Bergner tells of his encounter with Jesus Christ and of moving out of homosexuality in the book Setting Love in Order: Hope and Healing for the Homosexual. His ministry, Redeemed Lives International, has over a dozen pastoral care groups around the world.
- Featuring the stories of several men and women who came out of homosexuality, The Third Way is a film that explains Catholic Christian teaching about God's design for human sexuality.
- Such Were Some of You is a powerful, award-winning documentary video from Mastering Life Ministries that tells the stories of more than two dozen men and women who've left homosexuality.
- Christine Sneeringer heads up Worthy Creations, a ministry to those with unwanted homosexuality. She has told the story of God's work in her life in numerous venues.
- First Stone Ministries has worked for over 30 years to help men and women find freedom from homosexuality. Read the stories of director Stephen Black, other staff members and of those helped by this ministry.
- Dan Hitz leads Reconciliation Ministries, in Michigan, and tells of God reaching into his life with transforming power. The ministry web site features many stories, testimonies and articles from those who've left homosexuality.
- Desert Stream Ministries was founded by Andrew Comiskey in 1980 to bring help and healing to those struggling with homosexuality and other forms of sexual and relational brokenness. Since then, Andrew has written books, spoken at conferences and developed several programs, such as Living Waters, that run in churches and ministries across the U. S. and around the world. His obedience and God's work in his life have influenced thousands for good. Their vimeo page includes video teaching and testimonies.
- Aguas Vitas, a ministry for Spanish-speaking individuals, provides resources, testimonies and support groups around the world.
- Janet Boynes felt God's call on her life – a call in love that brought her out of homosexuality. Having come through many difficulties and struggles, she shares the story of God's grace and transforming love in her book Called Out: A Former Lesbians Discovery of Freedom.
- CPR Outreach – Caring, Preventing and Restoring – has testimonies on its website.
- Although Robin Teresa Beck grew up with some biblical teaching and made a decision for Christ at an early age, she struggled with attractions to women and spent over 30 years in lesbian relationships. Now she writes and speaks about her journey back to faith.
- Barbara Swallow shares her story in Free Indeed: One Woman's Victory over Lesbianism and on her ministry website.
- Oupost Ministries has operated in Minnesota for almost 40 years, assisting men and women seeking freedom from unwanted same-sex attractions. The website includes testimonies from staff and participants.
- Gay… Such Were Some of Us: Stories of Transformation and Change, is a book with 15 stories of men and women who wrestled with homosexuality and experienced God's intervention in their lives. Published by Harvest USA, a ministry connected with the Presbyterian Church USA, the ministry also has testimonies on its website.
- In "My Story & Journey of Sexual Integrity," Jayson Graves, Director of Healing for the Soul, tells the story of his journey from unwanted homosexuality and sexual addiction toward wholeness.
Check back with us, as we'll be adding to this list. In fact, if you have a story of coming out of homosexuality, tell us about it at firstname.lastname@example.org – send us a link!