Colorado Springs, Colo. – Focus on the Family debuted its new Facebook page today, exponentially increasing the global Christian ministry’s ability to leverage social media to help families thrive.
The site – www.facebook.com/FocusOnTheFamily – offers users advanced interactivity and functionality, rivaling the fan pages of some of the best-known, most technologically savvy companies in the world.
"You know, PR people aren’t supposed to use clichés like 'state-of-the-art' and 'cutting edge' – so I won't," said Gary Schneeberger, Focus’ vice president of ministry communications. "But a visitor to the site who’s not under the same professional restrictions – it may be a challenge to avoid those kinds of phrases."
Focus on the Family availed itself of every application Facebook offers for its fan pages to create a multimedia experience that is fun and informational. It’s organized into five tabs:
- Marriage and Parenting, which offers time-tested resources relevant to today’s busy families
- Jim Daly, featuring exclusive content about Focus’ president as he travels the nation and raises his own two boys alongside his wife, Jean
- Enfoque a la Familia, full of Spanish-language family resources specially designed for U.S. Hispanics
- Broadcast, which will allow users to listen on demand to Focus on the Family’s internationally known daily radio program
- Family Store, which features trusted resources from the nation’s top family experts designed to help couples and parents as they journey through life
"Most Facebook fan pages – think celebrities and TV shows – are 100 percent marketing-driven; their sole focus is to get you to watch, listen to or buy something," Schneeberger said. "Ours is something overwhelmingly different – it's not about selling products, but helping families.
We’re in the Facebook space to give, not get."